The Origin and History of the Council
The University Council is one of the oldest boards of universities in the Kingdom and was labeled (the Supreme Council of the University). In 1387 AH, Royal Decree No. (M / 11) of the approval of the University System of Riyadh (King Saud University now) was issued, and was the highlight which came in establishing the Supreme Council the university as one of its administrative authorities; in addition to his scientific governance, management, and implementation of public policy for the university. The University Council the supreme authority and dominant over the affairs of the university and it has the authority to put a policy that runs the university, and take the appropriate decisions to achieve the purpose for which it was established for, in particular in the establishment of colleges, new departments, budget proposal for the university, and the system of salaries and bonuses for faculty members.
The University Council is considered part of a larger system of King Saud University, which is always seeking, with the rest of the parts of this system, to contribute to the university in achieving the goals for which the university was established, including its available executive functions and roles. Therefore, the specific objectives of the secretariat of the University Council are in line perfectly with the overall objectives of the King Saud University. In addition, all efforts and practiced roles (administratively and technically) within this administration are in the path of the diligent pursuit of the university towards achieving these broad objectives, and contribute to the development of higher education.
University of a national identity, global excellence (academic and research) contribute effectively in building a national economy based on knowledge
The development of various university institutions including deanships, colleges, departments, and research centers. In addition to diversify its financial sources of income and rational their use, upgrading of faculty members, work on attracting talented faculty members, and modernization of the infrastructure in a manner consistent with the orientations of each stage to contribute in building a knowledge economy, and building a culture of commitment and belonging, to ensure the excellence of the scientific and technical employees of the university and activating the mechanisms of scientific research and putting it in the service of national development plans.
1 - Upgrading the University's strategic plans by taking advantage of international experiences.
2 - Improving the educational and research environment and using the best means generally accepted in the higher education institutions.
3 - Work to keep up with the aspirations of the university and achieve a flagship model for higher education.
4 - Capacity development and rehabilitation of the academic and research bodies to compete strongly in the fields of scientific research at the global level in all disciplines.
5 - Adopting comprehensive national plans designed to achieve leadership of higher education institutions.
6 - Deepening and documenting aspects of the existing cooperation between the university and other educational bodies at the national and global level.
7 - To support the use of modern technology in all fields of academic, research, and administrative.
8 - The application of the best recognized international standards for academic accreditation and promote the adoption of all of the university's ambitious programs nationally and globally.
9 - Raise awareness of the basic skills necessary to review the proposed plans and programs in order to achieve the mission of the university.
Powers of the Board
The Council of University governance scientific, administrative, financial, and implementation of public policies of the university, and has in particular:
- Adoption of a plan of training and scholarship.
- The proposal to establish colleges, institutes, departments, research centers, and support deanships, and a proposal to amend their names, merge them, or abolish them.
- Approval of scientific disciplines and graduate programs.
- Degree granting for college graduates.
- Granting of an honorary doctorate.
- Determine the details of the academic calendar and in accordance with the general framework for the beginning and end of the study and determine the holidays which are punctuated by.
- Secondment of faculty members, delegating, deployment for scientific missions, give them sabbatical leave, and termination of their services in accordance with the rules governing it.
- Adoption of the curricula and study plans, textbooks, references, on the proposal of the council of colleges and institutes.
- Propose different types of bonuses and subsidies for students.
- Approval of the draft budget of the university and submit it to the minister of higher education.
- Adoption of the university's internal regulations, which do not yield financial or functional benefits.
- Propose regulations of the university or modify them.
- Discussion of the annual report for presenting it to the Board of Higher Education.
- Determine the amount to be allocated to each college, support deanship, Institute, and research center to spend them within the limits of the financial regulations.
- Discuss the final accounts of the University in preparation for submission to the president of the council of ministers.
- Adoption of extracurricular activity plans for the university.
- Decide on the appointment of faculty members on the recommendation of the scientific council.
- Accepting donations, gifts, bequests, and others giving that they are not inconsistent with the primary purpose for which the university was established.
- Develop regulations for visitors or students transferring from and to the university.
- Consider the topics referred to it by the minister of higher education, or the university rector, or suggested by any member of the council members to view. The board has the composition of the permanent and temporary committees from among its members or others to examine what it assigns them.